30 Oct Chickpea CasserolePrint
I used to soooo not like Chickpeas. Now I truly LOVE them. What brought on the change? Well, in the past I thought of them as boring, tasteless blobs because on their own, they sort of are. However I realised when we add spices and sauces they become little balls of deliciousness. High fibre, high protein, they are now one of the staples in my kitchen cupboard. Give me chickpeas and I give you a yummy meal, be it curry, or this recipe, a hummus or falafel…The options are endless. Hurrah to chickpeas, the little balls of deliciousness.
This recipe is for 3-4 servings
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed and cut thinly
- 1x 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1x 400g of chopped tomatoes or use less if you do not want the tomato flavour to dominate.
- 1 to 2 cups water or stock,
- some vegetable stock powder, sea salt, cracked pepper, dash of sweet paprika powder,
- Heat a splash of water or broth in a fry pan
- Add diced onion and chopped garlic
- Sauteé until see through. You may need to add a splash of water so they don’t burn
- Add the thinly cut carrots and keep stirring for another couple of minutes
- Now add the tin of drained, rinsed chickpeas
- Follow with the canned diced tomato
- Add water, your spices and seasoning.
- Simmer on very low for about 20 minutes to allow flavours to mingle.
- I eat this with some quinoa. Yum.