Chickpea & Pumpkin Casserole
So quick and easy, yet full of flavour. This will make 3 to 4 portions. Great dish to cook ahead and reheat when you come home late.
some vegetable broth for sauté
- 1 Large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400ml tin diced tomatoes
- 1 Tsp of dried cumin, turmeric, sweet paprika
- 3 Cups butternut squash, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 x 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and some rind
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder, optional, but gives it nice flavour
- 2 splashes of low salt Tamari for additional savoury taste
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Heat a saucepan. Add a splash of broth.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir over medium heat until onion softens. Add splashes of broth to prevent burning
- Add cumin, turmeric and paprika. Stir and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add stock powder, tamari, cubed pumpkin, chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and lemon rind.
- Bring to the boil. Stir, then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- If needed add a splash of water to thin out.
- Once cooked, stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper and coriander.
- Serve with brown rice or quinoa.
- Tastes even more delicious as a left-over reheat…