Corn chowder is an ultimate comfort food and it’s much easier than you think to make
- 1/2 cup veg broth to sauté the onions
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper (yellow orange or red)
- 2 ears of fresh sweetcorn removed from the husk with a sharp knife, or use the equivalent amount of tinned or frozen.
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small potato peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 can low fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Reserve some sweetcorn, and pepper for garnish
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish (optional)
- Heat a small amount of water in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion until transparent. Add splashes of water to prevent burning
- Add the garlic, paprika and vegetables and sauté for another 5 mins on a medium heat.
- Now add the stock and coconut milk and plant milk.
- Simmer until the vegetables are tender (about 10- 15 mins). Season to taste.
- Blend in a liquidiser or with an immersion stick blender. Note: allow to cool before using a liquidiser for safety reasons.
- Decorate with fresh chives and a few corn kernels.