A delicious versatile oil-free falafel recipe. Use in a main meal or as a snack.
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion, sautée until fully collapsed and golden
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- Spices: cumin, chilli cardamon, black pepper, salt, cayenne and whatever else you love
- 1/4 cup plain flour or chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour (optional…but gives it a nice taste and texture plus helps it to brown without adding oil)
*SEE NOTES BELOW FOR OPTIONAL ADDITIONS TO MAKE FALAFELS EVEN MORE DELICIOUS
- Chop and mix up all ingredients in your kitchen machine. I stopped my machine just before everything turned too mushy. It’s nicer when it has some texture left.
- Wet your hands and form the mixture into small balls.
- Taste the mix to see if it needs more seasoning.
- Set aside in the fridge for 30 min.
- Then use a good heavy-based nonstick fry pan, and turn up to MEDIUM heat. Be careful not to have the temperature up too high.
- Add the felafel balls, and flatten them. This makes it easier to brown them on both sides. Cook until it gets a bit of colour on one side.
- Turn with a spatula to brown the other side
- Served with salad, or with vegetables, inside a pocket bread or as a snack food next to a dip.
*Here are optional additions to make these falafels even more delicious and prevent them from drying out. Choose one option and don’t add too much because then the falafels can become too wet.
2 big tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce or mashed avocado
2 big tablespoons of mashed butternut squash
2 big tablespoons of mashed cooked sweet potato, or raw grated carrots or grated zucchini (courgette)
A splash of aquafaba which is the liquid from a can of chickpeas.
Keywords: falafel, chickpeas