Type this into Google: ‘are nuts good for me?
You’ll be totally blown away by the most contradictory stories. From: ‘nuts make you LOSE weight’ to ‘nuts makes you GAIN weight’
I also read ‘eating nuts seriously shortens your life span’ and ‘eating nuts helps you live longer.’
So many clashing stories, enough to drive you nuts! Humour…nuts…get it? Sorry.
Meanwhile here you are, staring at a handful of nuts, wondering if ‘to eat or not to eat nuts, that is the question’.
Well I’m here to suggest: go ahead, make my day and eat them! Unless you have a nut allergy. 😐
If you don’t have a nut allergy, then eat about 30-40g per day, not more….because otherwise you might not be too happy with the results.
The deal is this: if you eat a LOT of nuts, depending what you eat the rest of the day…they will make you gain weight. But in 40g daily serves they are a terrific addition to any weight loss or health programme.
Let’s dip into some research result.
The findings I’ll pass on are done using scientific methods on large groups of people and not just repeating stuff someone’s auntie has heard at a tea party…
So, let’s read about nuts:
1) Nuts for Weight Management: Replacing a sugary, carb rich snack (Think pink sugar coated donut) with 35g natural nuts helps with blood glucose control, prevents weight gain and prevents or manages diabetes.
Like DUH. That seems logical, but wait, there’s more:
Tufts University wrote “… counting calories is not the most effective strategy for long-term weight management and prevention,” said senior author Dariush Mozaffarian, M.D., Dr.P.H., dean of the Friedman School.
“Some foods actually help prevent weight gain, others make it worse” and
“……. nuts appear to be well suited as part of weight-reducing diets,” Dr. Jenkins said (University of Toronto Department of Nutritional Sciences)
(I’m starting to like nuts even more now, if that at all would be possible)
Plus nuts were shown to be of major benefit for weight management because a research team noted that “People who ate nuts on a regular basis tended to have a lower Body Mass Index and smaller waists.”
Yessssss….smaller waist is very good!
Not just for appearances. Smaller waists show that you have less of those damaging fat cells lurking around your organs
2) Nuts as an Appetite Suppressant: nuts are shown to be a natural appetite suppressant. Especially pine nuts, walnuts and almonds. Make up your own mix and keep in the office desk. Or kitchen, or wherever you usually rummage around for a snack.
3) Nuts for Longevity: Don’t wish to die too early? Then read this by BioMed Central Limited. “People who eat nuts more than three times a week have reduced risk of dying from cancer or cardiovascular disease.” They mentioned a 39% reduced risk of mortality when you eat ‘any’ nuts….(I always like these specific numbers ….39% and NOT 40%) but eating walnuts showed a 45% risk of reduced mortality.
4) Not all of the calories of nuts can be absorbed.
5) Did you know: Brazil nuts are the single best dietary source of selenium. Just one large nut contains more than the recommended daily amount.
(Selenium is an essential trace mineral important for cognitive function and a healthy immune system.)
So…..if you want to live a long, healthy life with a smaller waist: eat some nuts!